[Sca-cooks] Re: food myths (Turkey)

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 18 12:15:59 PDT 2002

We're also back to the "within our period of study" thing. Yes, that
book is... by 4 years... say, a decade or so for the food to be
familiar, the recipe to be developed, and the book to be written and
printed. A decade or so out of the  centuries we study.

So, it depends on what we are doing. Very late 16th Century feast,  in a
major city,  with trade and exposure to  the Hot New Thing? Absolutely.
Anything else? Not really...

 From what I've seen, if someone was doing a real themed feast, the
issue wouldn't even come up. But most I've seen aren't - just "general
medieval." And if we're trying to present an impression of what was done
in most of Europe in most of our period (Yeah, sure, as if that is any
one thing...) turkey really gives the wrong idea.

I'm thinking, though ... it might be fun, at a non-themed event, to do a
time traveling feast. One course, of early period (or as early as we can
find documentation for, which I know isn't all that early in our
period... our cooking leans  heavily  late period already anyway), the
second a bit later, and the third the recipes we can find for New World
foods? And make sure everyone knows what we are doing... "Look! A New
Thing has arrived at Court! These strange new foods are all the rage
among those who wish to follow the newest fashions! Be just like the
great lords, eat a potato! How exotic!"

Anne