[Sca-cooks] Re: food myths (Turkey)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Sep 18 22:05:30 PDT 2002

Edouard Halidai commented:
> On Wednesday, September 18, 2002, at 02:00 PM, Barbara Benson wrote:
>> I agree with the Turkey leg thing, they are very Ren Faire but as far
>> as Turkey within our period of study - it was eaten.
>>> From The Good Housewife's Jewel, Thomas Dawson 1596
>> To bake turkey and take out his bones
>
> Thanks for that reference!  I had the turkey in the period foods
> database from the "The English Housewife" [G. Markham, 1683] but had
> missed this one.

In case you would like more, there are quite a number in this file
in the FOOD-MEATS section of the Florilegium. Unlike the tomato and
the potato, turkey appears to be one of the New World foods that
found great favor.

turkeys-msg       (45K)  5/18/01    Use of turkeys in Rennaissance Europe.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/turkeys-msg.html

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net