[Sca-cooks] Need a quick help... Cooking this time.

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Sep 19 03:53:58 PDT 2002

Also sprach kattratt:
>Strawberries and/or cherries
>Period within the SCA time line or No?

We have 13th (or at least early 14th) century English recipes using
both, and considering the claims that England has been sort of
backward in some cultural and culinary advances (which I don't buy as
a generalization, but...) you've got to figure their use is very old
in Europe.

>AND
>Is Savory Toasted Cheese Period? and What Veggie does it get served with?

1669 publication (Digby), may be older in some form. The vegetable it
gets served with is an option only. The recipe calls for the butter
left over from a boiled sallet (i.e. a cooked green veg) such as
asparagus, and if you want to, and have leftovers, you can throw in
the leftover asparagus. This might or might not be interpretable as
an invitation to use any of several vegetables.

>Is Broccoli period?

Late, I believe, if at all.

>Ok those were the questions!!!!
>Ooops I lied...
>Snow is a glorified meringue isn't it?

More like meringue mixed with whipped cream. I'm not sure, though,
that using the process as described in the recipe, gives you a
finished product that is absolutely identical to just mixing whipped
cream and egg whites.

I'm sorry, I know some people have already responded to this, but I
thought this might be a continuation of a previous conversation
regarding Limewire. Why I thought this is sorta hard to explain.

Adamantius