[Sca-cooks] Kitchen wear, was Very carefully not panicking...

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Fri Sep 20 14:34:18 PDT 2002

At 05:06 PM 9/20/2002, you wrote:
>Gorgeous Muiredach wrote:
>>  >comfy shoes
>>
>>I'd define comfy shoes as shoes that are hard soled and will hold one's
>>ankle safely.  I have found that as comfortable as they are, running shoes
>>of all ilks are probably the worst thing.  At the end of a 14, 15 hour day,
>>your ankle are swollen, your feet are sore, and your lower back is likely
>>to kill you.
>>
>>There's a reason so many chefs and surgeon vote for (closed heel) clogs
>>  :-)  Make sure they have a non-skid sole if you go that way.
>
>So, what kind of shoes? I'm not visualizing them clearly.

Clogs...

Try:
http://www.uniforms4you.com/Footwear.html
http://www.chefwork.com/footwear/chefclog.htm
http://www.chefrevival.ca/footwear.html (which carries clothing too)

>I have bone
>spurs in both heels, so my feet get real sore (ok, so they feel as if
>they are being fileted by flaming knives). I need good soft
>cushioning inside and a somewhat resilient, but cushiony sole, but i
>like snugly fitting shoes (loose shoes lead to twisted ankles and
>sore metatarsal arches).

Lots of people complain that clogs twist ankles, but most of the time it's
because they aren't fitted properly.  I suspect that a good clog with the
proper padding might make a big difference.

>Yeah, i second that. Watch out for:

<SNIP good stuff>

Unless your help is only gonna do 15 minutes, or half an hour, I would
strongly recommend they come with a set of clothing for the kitchen then
their garb.

>I really have to make myself some aprons (this time i stained my nice
>grey linen tunic on the stove). I say this to myself after every
>feast, and then i forget...

Soo, great, you have a project for this weekend :-)

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forth Castle
Meridies