[Sca-cooks] Kitchen wear, was Very carefully not panicking...

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 20 16:04:32 PDT 2002

Thanks for the clog info, Muiredach. I could visualize the clogs, i
just thought there was some other type of shoe in there, too... I'll
have to see if they have my size. Open back shoes make my feet tired
(but at least not like hot knives).

One of my helpers suggested nurses shoes... Anyone have any ideas about these?

OK, chefrevival has my size, and i thought describing the icky
polyurethane clogs as "dishwasher safe" was amusing... On another
page is a "chef crafter kit" - made me think of Olwen, crafting a
chef out of marzipan with the kit...

Gorgeous Muiredach wrote:
>Unless your help is only gonna do 15 minutes, or half an hour, I would
>strongly recommend they come with a set of clothing for the kitchen then
>their garb.

I cook in my garb, but it's simple - cotton and linen Mamluk style
tunics (not fitted anywhere), above the ankle hems, undertunic has
fitted sleeves and most of the outer ones have tapered sleeves.

Simple tunics work on men and women, and i've had women in
kirtles/cotehardies that worked (not too long, tucked up skirts). But
don't wear your good stuff, cuz food has a way of being attracted to
clothing :-)

>>I really have to make myself some aprons (this time i stained my nice
>>grey linen tunic on the stove). I say this to myself after every
>>feast, and then i forget...
>
>Soo, great, you have a project for this weekend :-)

Well, not *this* weekend... i should have left an hour ago for a
Principality event. I'm Gold Key, a Herald (and the Herald in Charge
for this event has a sore throat, but he'll be there), besides
meetings of several Guilds i'm in, one of whose meetings i'm hosting
in my pop-up sunshade - and there's a project, too, to make a cloth
cover for it (at least it's white and not too hideous)). Naw, i'm
bringing knitting and embroidery... that darn apron will have to
wait... until i forget it again :-)

Actually i've been thinking of making one of those Japanese
"mama-san" aprons that were popular in the late 60s and 70s - they
have short sleeves and actually button down the upper back, although
the skirt only covers the front and a bit of the sides. Definitely
not "period"...

Anahita