[Sca-cooks] Re: Very carefully not panicking...

Rosine rosine at sybercom.net
Sun Sep 22 19:52:37 PDT 2002

So wrote P. A. Stonnell:
>And most important, Cooks do NOT do scullery!

   Personally, I'll take the sink. Anytime. But then, I *like* scullery, and
I rather take pride in it. Anyone can wash dishes, but few folks can wash
dishes, assess a work area and tell
A) the cook is not done and needs no clean up
B) the cook is not done, but would get more done if things were cleaned a
bit
    1) everything cleaned and returned to its previous location
   2) everything cleaned and stuff no longer needed removed, next step stuff
prepped
C) the cook is done and everything needs to be cleaned and cleared (and
utensils washed, dried, and returned to that newly-cleaned area so the cook
can find their stuff in a hurry - unless you've already checked with the
cook and know where they store their special tools).

   THAT's what I like to do in a kitchen! I think that the best scullery
maid is someone who cooks a lot, but doesn't want to cook on that particular
day. I know how to sweep a look through a kitchen and assess if garbage cans
are getting dangerously full, if a cook (or helper) needs a quick hand or
drink or munchie, if an offer of a quick dunking/drying of a chopping block
while the cook takes a break... you get the idea. And when I'm allowed back
into a kitchen - that's what I'm going to be doing. I'll leave the period
cooking to the experts. (That's you guys).
   (And I bring my own dish cloths, soup, scrubbies, aprons... and take them
home again.)

Rosine