Parmesan cheese (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: Armored Turnips)

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Sep 23 07:57:16 PDT 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Avraham haRofeh wrote:

> That's because the grated stuff in the green can isn't Parmigiano. It's
> "Parmesan", and poor quality stuff, at that, which rarely tastes of anything
> but salt. Cook's Illustrated did a tasting in 1999 which concluded that real
> Parmigiano Reggiano had a depth and complexity of flavor and a smooth,
> melting texture that the cheaper stuff couldn't match. The Reggiano  also
> had 2/3 less salt than the cheaper brands. The only domestic Parmesan that
> got any good comments was DiGiorno. In short, it may be more expensive, but
> real Parmigiano Reggiano can make a world of difference in your dish.
>
> Avraham

My sweetie and I refer to the canned ground stuff as kibble. If we're
feeling extremely generous we call it cheese kibble. Then there are the
preformed wedges of minced and pressed stuff that they sell pretending to
be real Reggiano but aren't. Plastic cheese.

The kibble works really well to absorb excess grease on a pizza, then you
just scrape it off. Kind of like using cat litter to absorb spilled motor
oil.

Margaret