[Sca-cooks] Iron Chef Shortbread?

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Mon Sep 23 10:39:08 PDT 2002

>I like shortbread. Opulent, very easy to make [and easy to screw up as well
>;-(]and stands up well to shipping if packed right.

:-)  I just gave some to one of my staff who'd never had shortbread.  His
eyes widened and he had a very stoopid looking grin on his face...  When I
told him what was in it, he said "no wonder"...  LOL

>About my only problem
>with it is that it is not atkins friendls

Well, my take on diets is this:
"Food is an important part of a balanced diet"...

>Although I was planning on
>subbing ground almonds for part of the flour, and possibly even chestnut
>flour. Maybe I will go nontraditional and make the thumbprint cookies of
>shortbread with red bean paste subbing for the jam. mmmmm, almonds and red
>beans, with maybe a bit of candied ginger as an accent.

Oh!  Nice, very nice.

My variations on plain shortbread are to do a checkerboard style with cocoa
powder in it.  Or do to orange and rosemary ones.

But really, it's hard to beat a decent plain shortbread.  I find too many
people tend to make it overly sweet...  But that's just me :-)

>Mabe they won't make it long enough to get packed and shipped ;-)

Ha!  I just finished my second dozen of shortbread by myself...  Passed a
couple dozen at fighter practice, and about a dozen at work...

:-)