[Sca-cooks] Re: Very carefully not panicking...

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 23 13:18:17 PDT 2002

While I agree with Adamantius about mundane
chefs,
I don't agree within the SCA context.  As Head
Cook, your food should be all you need to worry
about, but as Head Cook you also have the SCA
motto to bear in mind "We leave a site cleaner
than we find it."  It has happened to me on
several occasions that my cleanup crew forgot to
show up and do their jobs.  Since I was in
charge, I dismissed my cooks and did the cleanup
duties myself.  Anyone who volunteered to help I
gratefully accepted, but I wasn't going to
require such from anyone.  So my kitchens were
always left spotless, even if it personally
exhausted me to do it.

Huette

--- "Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius"
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
> Also sprach P. A. Stonnell:
> >And most important, Cooks do NOT do scullery!
>
> I've got to agree with Muiredach here. In a
> perfect world, chefs
> don't do prep work, but in the real world, some
> prep requires skills
> only the chef will have. In addition, the chef
> needs to be able to
> demonstrate and instruct on exactly how this
> prep work is to be done
> (unless they know the assistants are
> experienced and/or speaking on
> the same wavelength as the head cook).
>
> Sometimes, also, the chef will need to weigh in
> and assist the
> assistants if they have fallen behind schedule.
> Generally (but not
> always) the chef is sufficiently experienced in
> the different kitchen
> jobs that they're still pretty quick in the
> prep work.
>
> And, as Muiredach suggests, you never want to
> project the idea that
> you're above any kitchen work, or that you're
> asking anybody to do
> any work you can't or won't do yourself.
>
> Adamantius, who has the weekend to decide
> whether to call the people
> back who left the chef job offer on the
> answering machine
> --
> "No one who cannot rejoice in the discovery of
> his own mistakes
> deserves to be called a scholar."
> 	-DONALD FOSTER

=====