[Sca-cooks] Re: Cat on my fork IN PERIOD...

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 23 16:43:59 PDT 2002

On 23 Sep 2002, at 12:18, El Hermoso Dormido wrote:

> Must be obnoxiously tough meat, though.  De Nola calls for burying it
> for a while, and then beating it frequently with a stick as it cooks
> on the spit...

Colman Andrew, author of _Catalan Cuisine_ suggests that this may have
been a bundle of herbs, to flavor the roast.  The word used is "verdasca" (a
variant of "vardasca").  The RAE dictionary says that it comes from
"verdevara", meaning "green twig".  Considering that meat tenderizing is
usually done by pounding with a mallet, I doubt that a few twigs would
accomplish much.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net