[Sca-cooks] Re: Very carefully not panicking...

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Sep 23 17:58:22 PDT 2002

Also sprach Huette von Ahrens:
>  > So, in what way do you disagree with what I
>>  said?
>>
>>  Adamantius
>
>Well, I read your message, which I no longer have
>a copy of, as saying that chefs should not have
>to do clean up or scullery work.  If I mis-read
>your message, forgive me.  It is 106 degrees
>outside and my brain as well as my eggs have been
>thoroughly fried.

Ah. I thought this might be what happened. I believe it was Isobel
who made the original statement, which both Muiredach and I
misunderstood to some extent, since where we come from, scullery is
both cleanup and prep. We asserted that cooks do indeed do their own
dirty work, peeling, gutting fish, etc. And ultimately cooks (and
chefs) do whatever is necessary, without ever saying they're too good
to do Grungy Job X, whatever that may be.

However, it turns out the original statement was (or at least meant)
that the head cook should not be called upon to wash the dishes and
pots. I don't have a problem with that, so long as it gets done. And
if there's no one else, I guess the head cook does them.

And, of course, in restaurants, a chef doesn't fire the dishwashers
in the middle of a meal service, which I think speaks volumes about
professionals' view of this situation ;-)

Adamantius, who hates washing pots, but does them when necessary
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER