[Sca-cooks] Neapolitan Risotto? (was re: Black Rice)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Sep 23 23:42:56 PDT 2002

niccolo difrancesco commented:
> 8.  Rice in the Italian Style
> 	Put fat and lean broth into a pot and boil it; then get cleaned
> rise that has been washed several times in warm water, put it in and
> boil it, giving it a couple of turns with a spoon so that it does not
> stick to the pot; then, when it is cooked, get eggs and grated cheese,
> and beat everything together, along with a little pepper, set it out in
> bowls.

Hmmm. Why specify "fat and lean broth"? If you are mixing the two,
why not just "broth"? Or a "moderately fat broth" or some such? Or
does this really mean some pork broth (fat) and beef broth (lean)?

> If this is the recipe to which he referred, I find it less
> risotto-like, and more frumenty-like in design and insinuated technique.

Okay, so what is "risotto"? From an earlier comment it appears to be

a rice mixture, rather than a particular type of rice. Niccolo's
comments make it sound like it is involves cooking the rice a
certain way or to a certain doneness.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net