[Sca-cooks] Chef

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Sep 24 07:57:06 PDT 2002

Also sprach Olwen the Odd:
>>  >Also sprach Susan Fox-Davis:
>>France?
>>>
>>>Vatel's job title appears to have been officier; Chiquart, OTOH, is
>>>listed as cuisinier in the household books, somewhat earlier.
>>>
>>>Adamantius
>
>Vatel is clearly referred to as Steward.  This is made mention several times
>in the film.

The film, although brilliant, is also a work of fiction, with a
script in English. If you look at the biography of the real Vatel in,
say, the Larousse Gastronomique, the term most commonly applied to
his job is, IIRC, officier. Roughly the equivalent of F&B manager of
a large hotel, rather than an executive chef. There doesn't seem to
be a huge amount of evidence to suggest he actually worked with food,
directly, although he does in the movie.

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER