[Sca-cooks] Chef

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 24 12:06:55 PDT 2002

VATEL, released in 2000, directed by Roland Jaffe, starring Gerard
Depardieu, Uma Thurman, Tim Roth.  Academy Award Nominee for Best Art
Direction. Set in 1671, about a famous Kitchen Captain who worked for a
Duke, worked himself into madness trying to satisfy the needs of a large
royal party and wound up committing suicide after finding out that the
fish he ordered were not available.  Post-period but historical, and
many SCA cuisiniers watch with more sympathy than the rest of the
viewing public.  God help the "normal" people in the theatres with us
when we saw this film, we laughed, we cried, we arrrrrghed!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Vatel-1103447/

Selene Colfox