[Sca-cooks] RE: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #2483 - 16 msgs

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Sep 24 22:03:15 PDT 2002

Also sprach Sue Clemenger:
>Uh...what are they, or did I miss that part of the thread?
>--maire, puzzled....

Balut are fermented (I'm not quite sure how fermented, but people
often misuse the term anyway) embryonic duck eggs, eaten in the
Philippines. Where in the gestation period, I don't know, but I think
"the treat with feet" speaks for itself.

The first time I ever heard of them, it was specified by the
informant that they were traditionally eaten in the dark, with beer,
and that their chief virtue was not so much in eating them, but in
the quality of the burp that ensues.

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER