[Sca-cooks] mangling language

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Sep 25 11:56:43 PDT 2002

> >Well, yesterday (except for the La Soupe) the whole menu was spelt
> >correctly. Then, today, an offender. This one--Demi Glaze.
>
> Demi-Glaze is often not only a spelling mistake, but a cooking concept
> mistake.  People assume that Demi-Glace and Glace are the same thing, but
> one somewhat "less".  It's not quite true.

Oh, and no hyphen. I haven't ventured downstairs to see what it is that
he's calling a Demi Glaze.

> A demi glace is basically a thickened brown stock, with some other
> ingredients added (In college I had to write 500 times that "La demi glace
> est la sauce espagnole a son supreme degre de perfection", demi glaze is
> the Spanish sauce at its supreme degree of perfection...).  While Glace de
> viande is a *reduction* of a stock.  <shrug>  COmpletely different uses
>
> >And La Soupe. At least he's consistent about that one.
>
> I'm sorry.  I'm not sure what is wrong with "la soupe".  Care to explain?
>
> Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd

Pretentiousness? If you're going to list the rest of the categories on the
menu in English, why deviate? Using French (or any other language
that doesn't match) won't automatically make it better.

Besides, it's a company cafeteria.

Ok, so I'm picky. But it's just like calling a gift shop Ye Olde
Knicke-Knacke Shoppe.

Margaret