[Sca-cooks] Soup du Jour

Laura L thalionar at memoriesofsunlight.org
Thu Sep 26 08:36:17 PDT 2002

my favorite experience with Soup du Jour was in my college dining hall.
There was a sign over the soup that said "Soup du Jour." OK, fair enough (I
could tell it was a cream soup, but not what kind)... I asked one of the
staff what the soup of the day was... she said "Soup du Jour." Well, yes, of
course, the soup of the day is the soup du jour...I tried a different
tack... "what *kind* of soup is the Soup du Jour?"... "its the soup of the
day." <sigh> I went through this rigmarole with 2 other people before I just
went into the kitchen (we had a *very* open dining hall at a fairly small
college, and students were sort of encouraged to be curious, as long as they
weren't in the way). I found the head chef, asked him what the soup de jour
was, and he told me it was a cream of mushroom, onion and cauliflower... a
kind of a "clean out the fridge thing." It certainly was good, but then, I'm
a sucker for cream soups!

(these are some of the same people I taught how to make huge vats of grits
without them being too runny or the relative viscosity of "school paste."
The college was in Virginia, but the dining hall company was from somewhere
"up north," but I don't remember where.)

Laura L.
AIM: thalionar
ICQ: 13239593