[Sca-cooks] Anchovies- OOP

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 26 12:52:07 PDT 2002

>I'm glad to see there are a fair number of people here who eat and enjoy
>anchovies- I'm another one, although I tend to indulge in them in limitted
>quantities, because of the salt.
>
>For those of you who'd probably like them, if they just weren't so strong,
>have you tried Jansson's Temptation?
>
>It's a very simple potato dish, which has the advantage of allowing you a
>bit of the flavor of anchovies, without the intense salt and fish rush that
>an anchovy on a pizza will give you.
>
>It's very simple- Layered, thin-sliced  onions and potatoes  (with or
>without skin -use good judgement), bits of chopped anchovies scattered in
>among the layers, cover with cream, and pepper to taste. A bit of butter
>dotted on top, and some breadcrumbs will fancy it up a bit. Cook at about
>400, for about 45 minutes to an hour- this is one that will hold well, for
>while.
>
>Those of you who mentioned that you only like anchovies in Worcestershire
>Sauce, might like them this way- it's a very mellow dish, a step beyond
>scalloped potatoes- excellent comfort food for a chilly evening.
>
>Phlip

At a lot of hospitalities we do I put out that dip that someone posted here
a couple years ago.  Olive oil, whole garlic, peeled and separated, a tin of
anchovies.  All heated up and served warm (at least I do) next to the
breadboard.  Folks go crazy for it.  When they ask what's in it and I tell
them, they don't beleive it 'cuz *I* don't like anchovies'!
Olwen