[Sca-cooks] Stainless steel

Mercedes/Stephanie steldr at cox.net
Fri Sep 27 07:17:31 PDT 2002

I have a set of reverware that was given to my mother when she married my
father - it's copper bottomed with some kind of black handles - and I love
them, I also have a set that are reverware but without the copper bottoms.
They are significantly heavier than my old set.  The reason I'm looking for
new pans is that my big stock pot from the newer set is splitting, not at
the bottom, but it has developed two cracks, one on each side of the lip of
the pan, about halfway between the handles.  And now one of the saucepans is
doing it as well.  These pans are probably 10 to 12 years old.  However, the
copper bottomed pans are more like 37 years old and they're still going
strong.  Any ideas on what might have caused the splits?  I really want to
replace at least the bigger stock pot, and I want to get something of good
quality, even if I have to pay a little more for it.

Mercedes

Adamantius said:
Eventually, if they've been abused, and/or after years of use, the
aluminum jacket can start to peel away from the bottom of some of
those pots with such plates on the bottom. When that happens, it's
time to replace them, I'd say.

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
-DONALD FOSTER