[Sca-cooks] The Sense of Taste, was Non-chocolate treats

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 2 11:29:44 PST 2003

>I find discussing how we each perceive taste or color or scent really
>interesting. It gives me more understanding of the great array of
>human variation.
>
>Anyone have other comments on taste and scent and how they perceive
>them? I know this isn't directly related to Medieval and Renaissance
>cooking, but it certainly affects how we re-create recipes.
>
>Anahita

Finally catching up on mail and I read this.  Funny, just the other day Hans
was laughing at me about being very tactile and needing to smell everything,
in spite of my asthma.  It hasn't been all that long ago that I actually had
to taste everything as well.  Ever since I was very little; first in the
finger, then to the nose then directly into the mouth.  I found folks got
very upset when I put their stuff in my mouth or licked it, so I have all
but given up this practice, unless no one is looking...  Of course, I'm the
idiot that doesn't believe the manufacturers of dog buscuits and have to
taste them to see if they are lying about the flavors.  Most do, although
the cheese ones often have enough powdered cheese flavor in them to be
acceptable.  Plain Milk Bones are still my favorite choice, especially for
teething babes.
Olwen, slightly odd