[Sca-cooks] Height: Was Elizabethan Kitchens

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Apr 24 05:46:37 PDT 2003

'Twas written:
>>Anyway, think about what you just said - do you really believe
that medieval
>>people had an average height of 3' 6" to 4' 6"?  As far as I can
recall,
>>you'd have to go back to prehistory to find an average height that
short - or
>>pygmies.

And Cindy replied:
>Or visit my neighborhood - Northern New Jersey. I tower head &
shoulders
>over most of the women here. They seem to average about 4.5 feet
tall.

As a native-born New Jersey-ite, whenever I've gone back to visit
I've noticed that the trees aren't as tall as they are in Ohio.
Maybe the shortness of the women parallels the short growth of the
trees!  Perhaps if the tree growth could be accelerated, the people
would grow also?!? ;-)

Alys Katharine