[Sca-cooks] period soteltie leftovers

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 24 17:57:19 PDT 2003

--
I got this message earlier today, but I couldn't answer specifically
whether the remains of sotelties were given to the poor in medieval
Europe or not, as trenchers were. or whether they were generally
consumed strictly by the dinner guests and their servents. Any one have
any evidence one way or the other?

Please remember that Sam is not on this list, so send email or copy him
on any messages about this sent to the list.

Thanks,
    Stefan
--
[ image.tiff of type image/tiff deleted ]
--

> Hello, I was just reading about soteltes in the book "Sweetness and
> Power", by Sidney W. Mintz.  In it he says that the custom came from
> the Middle East, and describes a caliph's feast which included a
> mosque built entirely of sugar, which was afterwards eaten by the
> beggars who were invited in at the close of the ceremony.
>
> I was struck by the idea of a colossal sculpture made of sugar which
> served as an amusement for the caliph, but most probably as sustenance
> for the beggars who consumed it.  Please, could you tell me if
> soteltes in Europe were given to the poor in this same fashion, or
> were they solely for the consumption of the nobility?
>
> I would very much appreciate your help on this matter.
>
> Many thanks, Sam Hoyt

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com