[Sca-cooks] talking turkey

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 28 10:23:11 PDT 2003

Hi all.
Over the weekend, House Blackstar was invited to cook for another group,
Ampgard, and I was invited to come along to help.  Master Chirhart asked me
and Hans to come up with a dragon soltie for the lunch.  Oh boy did we!  My
neighbor even got in the act in a *really* big way!!
We began with 4 whole turkeys.  Selected the largest one and set aside,
skinned the other 3.  Those went off naked to the deepfrier.  In the
meanwhile Hans and I sewed pigs ears onto the back of the selected turkey to
become wings.  The end joints were cut off the turkeys wings.  It then went
off to the deepfrier.  We then set to the task of creating a tail and
head/neck.  I had purchased some extra necks and carved a couple of yams to
become the heads (two headed you know).  I made up some bread stuffing.  We
then set about covering the formed breadstuffing tail with one of the skins
then decided to add some upright garlic cloves underneith the skin to be the
ridges which worked out pretty cool.  Then we covered the yam heads with
skin and also the necks and just left the extra skin on to cook in case we
needed some to patch with (which we did).  The tail and heads were baked.
The bird came in and cooled down enough to play with and the same with the
other parts.  Taking all the parts, plus the secret ingredient, we went off
to a corner to amuse ourselves.  Amidst much giggling and whispering and
shooing away of folks (including Chirhart) we pinched, arranged, poked at
and added the secret ingredient to (after Hans had to enlarge the cavity to
allow fitting) then finally started the final presentation touches.  Peeps.
Of course.  We stuck peeps in the mouth of the one still attatched head and
another in the head of the severed head, garnished with peeps running
helter-skelter seeking shelter in the shrubbery (celery tops), we added some
"blood" made from the translucent skin of red bell pepper (the peep had
melted out of the upright head ~ perfect touch!).  Oh the whole thing was
wonderous to behold and finally ready for presentation to Chirhart and the
cooks first.  We cleared a space on the center worktable and made a grand
gesture of the show.  Oh!  How everyone oooo'd and aaaah'd and then we
begged them be quiet - shhh - what is that...?  And Hans pushed the magic
button and the damn thing roared!  My god you should have seen their faces!
I am now in debt to my neighbor who plays with electronics.  Well, it *was*
his idea so I guess the picture will pay the debt.
Olwen, looking for more fun stuff to do now.
Oh yeah.  I'll post pictures to my album in the next day or two.  I'll let
you know.