[Sca-cooks] A Question of Spit Roasting....

Darren Gasser kaos at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 4 09:40:25 PST 2003

Stefan li Rous wrote:
> Interesting. I'd always considered roasting to be done on top of
> fire/coals. So, what is it called when the fire is under the spit
> instead of beside it?

Here's how I was taught:

Roasting:  Cooking with indirect, dry heat, usually low heat but not
necessarily
Braising:  Indirect low wet heat with a liquid
Broiling or grilling:  High, direct dry heat
BBQ:  Low, direct wet or dry heat
Hot-Smoking: Low, indirect wet heat

"Direct heat" means that there is nothing between the heat source and the
food.  Indirect heat is where either the heat source is on the side or
above, or something that redirects or distributes the heat intervenes (e.g.
a roasting pan, some additional liquid or veggies, a smoker duct, etc.)

-Lorenz