[Sca-cooks] A Question of Spit Roasting....

Susan Laing paxford at gil.com.au
Sat Apr 5 23:38:47 PST 2003

Helpful hints received from Lorenz..

>What kind of fuel will you be using for the fire?  This will make a large
difference in how you >prepare and maintain a good coal bed for roasting...

wood fire and possibly some purchased heat bricks/coals

> I strongly recommend a good instant-read probe thermometer if you're not a
veteran of grill->roasting as there are a *lot* of variables that affect
open flame cooking times.

Have suggested the purchasing or borrowing of thermometer to Camp
organiser - waiting on response

>Try to bring the leg fully up to ambient temperature before putting it on
the fire.  Throwing it on cold, or even worse, frozen, will dramatically
increase cooking time and result in dry meat.

Okay - will make sure lamb is fully defrosted before cooking!

>I prefer marinading to basting for large roasts.
http://food.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=101877 is a good basic olive
oil and herb marinade for lamb.

Have taken copy of this - looks good! :-)

>If you want to really make peoples' mouths water, suspend a small pan of
water over the fire under the meat and add some port wine and rosemary to
the pan.  The resulting steam will add some additional flavor to the meat,
especially the crust, and will make a very happy smell throughout the
immediate area.

Now this would be good! - am not yet sure of the fire layout but will
endevour to have input on placing & shape so that an extra area for pan can
be accomodated!

Many thanks for your assistance

Marion
http://www.livejournal.com/users/paxford/