[Sca-cooks] Tartlets

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 7 18:52:38 PDT 2003

Thank you, everyone, for your advice.  I'll let you know how the tartlets come
out, but I'm not planning to make them until Friday night.  Right now I'm
concentrating on the "cookies" for the vigil.  Excellent small cakes,
gingerbrede, and some jumbals in the shape of the vigilee's initial.

Also, I have decided to make a marchpane, decorated with sugar plate.  This
was a good excuse to open the can of gum paste mix that I bought a while
ago.  I printed out an outline picture of a pelican in its piety, made several
photocopies, and have been cutting out the various pieces to trace.  I made a
small amount of saffron "tea" to color part of the gum paste yellow.  I mixed
sanders with another small batch.  It came out kinda dark, but an acceptable
color to represent drops of blood.

Since the gum paste has proven easy to work with, I'm going to make a
small bowl.  If it comes out nice enough, I'll use it to hold some silver-coated
fennel seeds which I got at an Indian grocery store.

There's another cook who will be making some savory items, leaving me free
to concentrate on the sweets.  It's nice working in small quantities, because
it lets me do interesting things that I don't have time for when cooking in
feast quantities.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net