[Sca-cooks] Translation issue

Tue Apr 8 06:57:50 PDT 2003

Gram refers to a number of plants including chickpea (Bengal gram) whose
seeds are used for food in Asia.  It derives through Portuguese from the
Latin "granum" (grain), suggesting a 16th Century origin for the usage.  The
mung bean (Vigna radiata, green gram or golden gram) and the urd (Vigna
mungo, black gram) are also among the grams.  Cowpeas, black-eyed peas, and
yard-long beans (V. unguiculata), pigeon pea (Cajanus cajan), soybeans
(Glycine max) and lentils (Lens culinarius) are sometimes included in the
grain legumes.

Gram also refers 1/1000 of a kilogram (standard metric measure).  From the
French "gramme" (small weight) derived from the Latin "gramma" (small
weight) derived from Greek.

And one must not forget Gram, the sword of Sigmund, broken by Odin, repaired
by Regin, and used by Sigurd to kill Fafnir.

Bear