[Sca-cooks] Unusual meats

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 8 16:49:33 PDT 2003

> I'm hoping to
> spark a philosophical conversation about how many unusual meats you all
> introduce at a feast compared to "standard" meats.

We "only" do two feasts a year. Banquet dels Quatre Barres is a bit unusual
in itself, since it's aimed exclusively at foodies. Still, we figure that
some people won't like *a* thing, and we are *very* aware of allergies, so
there's a variety. At the first two Banquets, we served a fish course, a
pork course, a chicken course, and a red-meat course -- beef the first year,
lamb the second. Portions are fairly carefully controlled, we don't have
many leftovers, and everybody goes home stuffed. And come to think of it,
most people actually try, and like, everything.

Viking Thyng is supposed to be early period, simple fare. Last year we
served three "courses" -- soup, meat/veggies, and dessert. For soup, we
served fish and bean. There were definitely three distinct groups of
people -- those who went, fish, ick, and asked for bean, those who went
bean, ick, and asked for fish, and those who tried both (and a couple who
tried neither). For meat, we served pork sausages and spit-roasted chicken.

But the only thing that is really "unusual" in either feast is the fish, so
the answer is, one and three, or one out of four, depending on how you count
it.

Aelfwynn