Meats for feasts was Re: [Sca-cooks] first feast: Atlantia's Crown Tourney

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Tue Apr 8 20:03:42 PDT 2003

maire wrote:
> Hi, Rosine. About the most unusual meat I've ever personally cooked and
> served for an SCA feast was goat, and that was in this amazing dish for
> a Middle Eastern feast.  It was a stewish thing (I forget the actual
> name of it, without going and digging out the cookbook) that had chunks
> of meat cooked with meatballs stuffed with almonds, and stuffed dates,
> and all sorts of goodies.

I was at a middle eastern event once where they served a Persian camel
dish.  Only a small amount, they just made enough for about half the
attendees to have a small taste, it was more a novelty than a particular
dish of the feast.  That was in Stormhold, in Lochac, and I think the
dish was "traditional" rather than documentably period.

At a camping event a while ago, I tried beaver.  Apparently it was eaten
in period as a lenten dish, because beaver was one of those animals
considered "fish".  Here in Ottawa (barony of Skraeling Althing,
Ealdormere) there is a common modern fried bread thing called "beaver
tails" which are really good with lemon and sugar when skating on the
canal, but the real thing was quite different!

Yours,

Katherine

katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/