[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks]Mitzvah (was "Halal" and "Kosher")

Heleen Greenwald heleen at ptdprolog.net
Thu Apr 10 18:07:15 PDT 2003

The original meaning of the word Mitzvah is "commandment". But it is today
often used to mean, "good deed". In a practical sense it is a "commandment
*to do* or *not to do* some act.

Keeping the rules of Kosher is a mitzvah.
Keeping the Sabbath is a mitzvah.
Keeping peace in the home is a mitzvah.
Observing Passover and eating matzoh is a mitzvah..
etc .... etc....
 Not causing embarrassment to someone is a mitzvah.
Visiting the sick is a mitzvah.
Helping someone is a mitzvah.
etc...etc...
If I can find the web site with the complete 613 mitzvot listed, I will post
it.
Phillipa