[Sca-cooks] Potatos in Ireland

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Apr 13 15:50:03 PDT 2003

You might want to check out the Florilegium on this.  There has been a fair
amount of information considered on the list over the years and much of it
has made it into the files there.

What is the documentation placing potatoes in Ireland in the late 16th
Century?

To my knowledge, the earliest documentable reference to potatoes in Ireland
is from early in the 17th Century (thank you Johnna).  Sir Walter Raleigh is
said to have planted potatoes there in 1585, but there is no proof of the
tale.  Potatoes are believed to have been found by Europeans no earlier than
1536.  The earliest reference to potatoes in Europe is from Spain in 1573.
John Gerard and the Prefect of Mons both received samples of white potatoes
in 1586.  Carolus Clusius received his first sample in 1587 and he spread
samples to botanists in Northern Europe.  So the potato was basically
unknown in Northern Europe prior to 1586.  There are some references to
eating potatoes and recipes from the 1590's, but the white potato wasn't
widely cultivated in Europe until the 18th Century.

The sweet potato on the otherhand was well-known, is documented in period
accounts and recipes for it exist.

Bear