[Sca-cooks] Tomato References

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 15 21:08:56 PDT 2003

Cera asked:
>  From my limited reading Tomatos where brought to Europe in the 16th
> century.
> Question is what are the earliest references to Tomatos being used in
> receipes. When did they become such a common item for the Mediterranean
> dishes?
You might want to look at these three files in the Florilegium
FOOD-VEGETABLES section:
tomato-hist-art   (18K)  2/ 1/99    "You say tomato I say Xitomatl" by
Lord
                                        Xaviar the Eccentric.
tomatoes-msg      (27K)  1/ 4/01    Tomatoes in period.
16C-Tomato-art                            "Sixteenth Century Italian
and Spanish Tomato References" by Johnnae llyn Lewis, Helewyse de
Birkestad, and Brighid ni Chiarain.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net