[Sca-cooks] Period Field Rations

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Apr 20 10:45:58 PDT 2003

I would think from a professional point of view you are going to
have to tackle this by doing a military, conduct of war and warfare study.
That means going to the military sources and looking there.
A lot has been done military provsioning with various wars.
Certainly US Civil War and
Revolutionary War have been done and others have been studied as well.
See:
http://nimbus.ocis.temple.edu/~rkarras/warbib.htm
THE CONDUCT OF WARFARE IN THE MIDDLE AGES, 400-1500:
 AN INTRODUCTORY SURVEY
 OF SECONDARY WORKS IN ENGLISH.  by PAUL V. WALSH

The major medieval encyclopedias have articles and bibliographies
and would offer places to start. I would also check out the various
dissertation indexes. If you have access to a university library, I'd
start there. H-Net and ORBis would also be good to look at.
http://orb.rhodes.edu/

Johnnae llyn Lewis   Johnna Holloway