[Sca-cooks] Hot Peppers

ED Reese edreese at m7bedlam.com
Wed Apr 23 11:33:41 PDT 2003

--
At 08:44 AM 4/23/2003 -0700, Selene wrote:

>I made up Generys' hotsy hot sauce last night, whooo doggies!
>  My main difference was that I cooked the sauce as the Viandier
>Pepper Sauce version said to do.  Wow, that woke it up!
>I'm serving it up tonight with beef and see if my heat-loving lads
>like it.  They won't miss the chili sauce that's for sure!

No, I don't think they will! :-)) Hugs and kisses from me, please!

>Esther wrote:
>
> > --
> > Selene Sue!!!
> >
> > I KNEW I'd find you here, Mistress!!
>
>I'm everywhere.  When I sit around the pavilion, I sit AROUND the PAVILION.

LOL!  Only from your gravitas, My Dear!

Name snip

> > And yes, you DID teach me better than that! (rolling eyes!)
> >
> > Hey, I'm trying to figure out how to make a Roman (like) clibanus with a
> > flower pot and some terra cotta tiles. Am I nuts, risking a health hazard,
> > or what?
>
>That's a baking oven, right?

Portable one, yes. There's a write-up on it in "Food in Antiquity" -- my
copy of which sits in a box in California. (Old song, new verse, eh?) I'm
trying to track down a paper on them as well. The one image I've seen of a
re-created one is essentially a rounder terra cotta Dutch oven!

>Plain terra cotta should be all right.

That's what I thought. Now that I'm out here in the boonies, I have land to
play with, and am working on setting up "historical kitchens". I'm starting
out with two projects, a Roman "hob", and a bread oven, using Thora
Sharptooth's instructions.  To go along with the "kitchens", I'm working on
gardens. The herb garden is going in first, this first year to be based on
Romano-British (and a bit of American Civil War Southern era, too)
research. (When in doubt, Rosemary and Garlic! :-))

>Also, there is a Yahoogroup yclept <sca-bakers> where you could probably
>get all the help
>and advice you could stand.  Yes.  There is a Yahoo group for just about
>EVERYTHING.

How about Etruscan re-enactment? ;-))

> > Your horsie nieces and nephews send smoochies!!
>
>Horse smoochies, nothin' like'em!

Oh, and mine are all perverts! They lick your toes and fall asleep in your
armpit. I'll send you pics as soon as I get the new ones developed.

Esther

--

---