[Sca-cooks] ELIZABETHAN KITCHEN

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed Apr 23 17:02:26 PDT 2003

In a message dated 4/22/2003 10:19:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
edreese at m7bedlam.com writes:

> Well, going into the buildings they built then, and looking at the
> furniture -- yes, people were a foot to two feet smaller then, especially
> the women.

Not judging by skeletons found in graves.  The average height for a medieval
woman is exactly my height, 5' 2", which is only a few inches shorter than
the modern average, and my husband is normal height for a medieval man, 5' 6"
- again, only a few inches shorter than modern average.

Anyway, think about what you just said - do you really believe that medieval
people had an average height of 3' 6" to 4' 6"?  As far as I can recall,
you'd have to go back to prehistory to find an average height that short - or
pygmies.

Brangwayna