[Sca-cooks] New PBS Show Warrior Challenge

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Apr 27 09:08:11 PDT 2003

There is a small difference between most Viking raids and William's British
Vacation.  William moved in to stay and was able to take the time to forage
and prepare the meal.  Most Viking raids were were smash and grab operations
that occurred in a few hours, leaving no time to prepare a hot meal on the
beach.

The diet of the Roman Legions was heavy on dried legumes and grains as was
the diet of most North American explores.  Both supplemented with meat and
vegetables where possible.  Given the general capacities and intent of a
longship, I suspect the Vikings followed the same pattern.

Bear

My point, exactly, Cher Cousin.The Bayeux Tapestry is a depiction of the
Troops of Billy the Bas... er William after the Battle of Hastings.  It's
probably as close a pictoral record as we have of Viking troops of the era,
even though William's troops technically were Norman, and a century or two
later.  They are shown, among other things, roasting assorted beasts for a
feast. Mordonna