[Sca-cooks] Adventures in redaction...LONG

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 27 18:52:38 PDT 2003

G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
Also sprach Laura C. Minnick:
>  >I didn't add white anise- mostly because we didn't have any
>  >(and mine is at Dad's house 180 miles away, natch) and partly because
>  >people can be really weird about anise/licorice sometimes and as it was a
>  >'florissh' I figured I could leave it out.
>
>Sounds like a safe bet. FWIW, I suspect that the reference to the
>fact that it is "white" may suggest that white anise confits (as
>opposed to red anise confits, whose sugar coating is more
>caramelized; see Chiquart to references to both types and their uses)
>may be what the Ur-cook-writer had in mind.

Or perhaps "white anise" is fennel seed... but i could be wrong...

As for weird taste, well, it's true, i don't like licorice candy and
i don't like anise, and i'm not real fond of true licorice either.
But when i cook i use it, and depending on the dish, sometimes it's
fine, such as in several German dishes i made for the German Feast at
Boar Hunt 2001.

Anahita