[Sca-cooks] Mezzalunas

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Apr 28 08:41:35 PDT 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> This is a question for the knife people, mostly:
>
> In the volumes of stuff that I acquired when my grandmother moved,
> there is a shallow bowl and a mezzaluna. The problem with this particular
> mezzaluna is that my table knives are sharper. How do I sharpen a curved
> blade like this? Or am I better off finding a professional and letting
> them do all the work?
>
> Margaret

Well, sharpening a curved blade is really no different from sharpening a
straight blade- same principles apply. Throuble is, most people don't know
how to properly sharpen ANY blade, particularly SCAdians- one of the biggest
lies I've found in SCA is, "_I_ know how to sharpen a knife!!!" right next
to, "Careful, that knife is really sharp".

I'd suggest finding someone who REALLY knows how to sharpen a blade, and
learning from them. I know how, but I lack the patience to do it properly,
so I usually get someone I trust to do it for me, then carefully maintain
the edge with a hone.

Note- if they use powrer equipment without letting the blade cool between
touches, they may get it sharp, but they likely have also shot your heat
treatment all to Hel.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,