[Sca-cooks] Adventures in redaction...LONG

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Apr 28 18:27:29 PDT 2003

At 10:49 AM 4/28/03 -0700, you wrote:
>Laura C. Minnick wrote:
>> Yes, when I asked Morwyn she said that 'lardo' could be lard or salt
>> pork. (The linguist at the table agreed.) It was determined that the
>> thick-cut bacon I used wasn't that far off (glory be!) but the ends
>> and pieces that are mostly fat may be closed to what they were
>> looking for.
>
>I agree that lardons is probably the closest analog to what the recipe
>really wants.  I've seen several modern recipes for similar tarts from
>Eastern France, Germany, and Switzerland and all either use lardons or
>thick-cut bacon (which is probably a North American redaction, come to think
>of it).

Wubba! I can deal with that.

>> I'm thinking about shifting the balance a little more towards the
>> eggs, a little less on the cheese. Any ideas? Opinions?
>
>I'd try some different, perhaps less rich, cheeses like Emmentaler or
>Gruyere (yes, I'm using the American definition of Gruyere).  Maybe Fontina
>or Provolone if you want to keep it more Italian.

Ok- now my question is: the recipe specified 'fresh cheese', which I
interpret to be like farmer's cheese or ricotta, as opposed to a cheese
that is aged. Does anyone have ideas of cheeses that work within the 'fresh
cheese' frame?

>Oh, and what's wrong with savory cheesecake?  Crab, mushrooms, and green
>onions in the right type of cheesecake makes for brunch wonderfulness.

Nothing, really- it's just that when I think cheesecake, I think sour cream
and berries on top, or a swirl of mocha, or dark chocolate and fine slivers
or orange peel on top...

Ohhh... now I want dessert!

'Lainie