[Sca-cooks] pocketbooks

AF Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 28 20:54:09 PDT 2003

And the phrase referring to something being hard on the pocketbook isn't
just feminine. I think I've seen it in older sources, too, but don't
remember where.

And there was a line of paperbacks called PocketBooks. Don't remember
the publisher.  They were pretty small, and I think they were quite
cheap... my parents had some, but I had to toss most of them, as the
paper was crumbling.

Now, as for the pocket... I remember when I was a kid, reading Jane Eyre
or some such. Our Heroine calmly mentioned that she put her purse in her
pocket. Since I was picturing my mom's 1970 pseudo-Chanel handbag, and
the pocket in my miniskirt, I knew I was missing something... So much
for assuming you know what a word means!

AEllin