[Sca-cooks] OOP? eggs

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Apr 29 14:39:01 PDT 2003

Just about a year ago there was this recipe that was posted--
Is this what you wanted?

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

-----------------------------------
RE: [Sca-cooks] Sweet pickled eggs source
     Date:
          Thu, 16 May 2002
     From:
          "Christine Seelye-King"
>  Wasn't there another pickled eggs recipe being discussed not too
> long ago?
> Is it different from this one?

Here is another from earlier days on this list.
Christianna

Ok this is the translation, I was given by a lady that had had this in
her
family for many generations.  The first time that it was recorded was in
letter from the family matriarch to her son who was a retainer in the
household of a cleric in service to Mary (daughter to Henry VIII)  The
group
of "letters" that this is contained is now in the Vatican museum.
   "Pickled Eggs" (Sophia Walsomecheck)

  Eggs that have not gone sour(I think they mean that smell alright)

  Vinegar made of grapes blessed by a Holy Father of the True Church.

  Beet root, from to garden of a pious women

  And also herbs, bay, caraway, garlic and leek, from the same.

  Take you the eggs and place them in a pot of suffient size to cover
with
water.  Add a stone(Sophia says that this is about the size of a walnut)
of
salt and water to cover them well.
  Boil until you can drop them  upon your cooking stone and they do not
brake apart.
  Take a well scoured jar(probably stone ware or pottery.)
season it with salted herbs.(Here Sophia tells me that a mixture of salt
and
various herbs were used to "season" the containers used to preserve
foods.
Different households used different mixtures)
  Remove the eggs from their armor(shells) and cut in thin pieces the
beet
root and any herbs that do need it.
  Boil the beet root and herbs with the Vinegar until all to come
together.
  Lay the eggs in rows across the bottom of the prepared jar.  Bath them
in
Vinegar.  ( I think they mean to layer the eggs and pour the Vinegar, and

beets/herbs over them. (I like to layer the beets, herbs and eggs and
then
boil the Vinegar and pout it over until the crock is full.)
  Seal the jar with good cloth then pour bee's wax to keep out the ill
favored air.  I use a piece of cork, or a jar with a non metal lid.
  put away until the moon has circled four times.

  I dozen medium eggs.
  4 or 5 small or baby beets cooked peeled and sliced thin.
  3 or 4 bay leaves
  2 tsps. caraway seeds
  2 large cloves garlic peeled and sliced
  2 large leeks white part only sliced thin.
  1 quart white wine Vinegar

  Boil the eggs until they are hard.  Peel
  Cook the beets, peel and slice
  Slice the garlic and leeks
  Have a sterilized 1 1/2 quart or two quart jar (I use a large mayo jar
with a plastic lid)ready.
   Layer the eggs,beets, leeks and herbs, making sure that each layer has
at
least a piece of bay leaf, and a few caraway seeds.
   Heat the Vinegar to boiling and pour it over the eggs etc., leaving at

least 1/2 inch head room.
   Cap and leave in the refrigerator until they have gained enough
"flavor"
to appeal to you.

  Lady Katherine Mc

i dont really need a period recipe, although i would be interested...