[Sca-cooks] OT and OOP: new store and stuff

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Sun Aug 3 15:58:07 PDT 2003

well, we opened for business on Tuesday, and the grand opening celebration
ran through Saturday.  obviously I didn't get to see my computer all week!

********* background of this whole saga******

my business partner, heather, and I bought  a store.  It was/is called
Aphrodite's Dove, and is a new age/metaphysical shop.  Fabric Dragon (my old
business) was/is a mail order and convention business run from my home.
this is an actual store we have purchased, which is a bit of a change....
I have moved some of my jewelry over to the new store, but of course the
fabric and trim remains with "Fabric Dragon".

we shut it down and spent several weeks repainting, ordering new
merchandise, and generally getting it personalized.

the street  we are on (West Avenue) has been undergoing destruction.  we
knew this.....

******end background*********

on Wednesday, the day after we opened... they dug up my sidewalk. removed it
entirely, and dug an entire freaking MOAT around my store.

yes, a moat.... when it rained we had running water in a trench around the
store.. heather said we should put in a mill wheel.......
you have to walk across three boards to get to my front door.

well it rained........ and the water filed the moat.. and poured into my
(up to now) dry basement.

now not being stupid I had put everything up on shelves and pallets. but
that was assuming a few "inches" of water.. we had 18 inches of water......
the fire company kindly pumped us out.  but a lot of stuff in the basement
was a loss.
nothing mission critical, but this whole
"grand opening, lose the sidewalk, lose the road, flood the basement" ,
thing has us kinda stressed......

on the plus side, even with all that we had customers brave the moat and
come shop.
everyone thought it looked good, too, which I am pleased with.

we even scheduled classes to start after labor day (beginning tarot and
astrology for starters)

but that is where I have been.
so..
how has YOUR week been going?
Kirsten Houseknecht
Fabric Dragon     and         Aphrodite's Dove
kirsten at fabricdragon.com    <new email soon>
www.fabricdragon.com            www.aphroditesdove.com
Philadelphia, PA     USA            713 West Ave,
Trims, Amber, Jet,                     Jenkintown, PA 19046
Jewelry, and more..                    new age and spiritual supplies

I worry about you, wear a reflective sweater...