[Sca-cooks] A & S question

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 6 10:25:14 PDT 2003

First - Gunthar, please congratulate Selene on her victory! Her works
sounds wonderful -  and if the Flemish dress is what I think it is, it's
not just a dress, it's practically a wardrobe in one outfit! And the
skates sound fascinating.

That said, there is something I've been wondering. I've asked about it
elsewhere, and I'm not really getting anyplace - I think people think
I'm speaking Sanskrit, and don't understand the question. So I thought
I'd ask here, where we do have wonderful artists and artisans, and you
all already know me and that I think strangely...

Why is there an A&S Championship? Is this the only way we can get
recognition from non-arts people, by having someone we can point to as
the Best of the Best?

I don't even really understand the emphasis on competition. I have been
told that it is the only way to have your work seen, though I gather
there are exhibitions, also. I've also been told that, because of the
judging, it is the only way to have knowledgeable people give you
feedback about your work. But I have also heard people discuss the
difficulty of being a judge, and finding oneself faced with a medium one
is not knowledgeable about. And I don't really understand why it would
not be possible to have exhibitions where there could be critiques, but
without the ranking.  It seems to me that, too often, one is comparing
the proverbial  apples and oranges... I am also told that, as you need
documentation for competition, it's the only way to ensure that you
learn how to document. Again, wouldn't one document for exhibition? At
least have that as an option?

And, in the East, at least, I gather that many competitions are closed
to Laurels, because of the valid concern that they would dominate and
therefore discourage people still learning the art. But then, the people
learning don't have occasion to see the Laurel's work, and read their
documentation,  and *themselves* compare their work to it.

Now, I'm sitting in my own geographic backwater (in SCA terms) and don't
get out much. Maybe I'm missing an entire category of things. Maybe I'm
misunderstanding the way competitions work - I haven't actually been to
one. I have, when I was quite new here, been to an exhibition (at least,
I think that's what it was) which did seem to provide the opportunity to
display, document, and get feedback.  But that seems to be unusual? I've
been feeling dense, and when I ask, I just get these blank looks... Am I
making any sense?

Thank you for comments or suggestions.

AEllin