[Sca-cooks] OOP OT Elections was Top Secret Recipes version of P. F. Chang's® Lemon Pepper Shrimp

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Aug 16 08:33:34 PDT 2003

They went from BBQ for the masses to $2K+ a plate dinners for the big money
people who like to have the best Prez money can buy and now Dean has gone to
a virtual hamburger feed.

The electoral college isn't designed to overcome slowness, it is a mechanism
designed to place a layer sanity between the anarchy of mass democracy and
the actual selection of the President.  It is one of the reasons we are a
democratic constitutional republic rather than a democracy.  It's tempering
effect has been undermined by various state laws directing how the electors
are required to vote.

And as for only two candidates for the Presidency, that is incorrect.  There
are a horde of candidates, but the chances of getting on the ballot in all
50 states is limited by money and organization.  Like sperm, it is a
question of strength and viability.  There were three nationwide candidates
last election, but only two were politically viable.

Bear

From: margali

>lol, i seemto remember reading a short story in analog or f&sf in the
>70...a computer determined the president out of a pool of peple who
>[somehow] demonstrated a lack of interest/aversion to becoming president...
>
>personally, since the slowness of communication is over, we should
>dispense with the electoral college and go to a direct election....
>
>ob food but oop - why dont cantidates throw the big BBQs any more?  i
>can remember reading stories of teh BBQs of the 1800 and they sounded
>great=(
>
>Jeanne wrote:
>
>> How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for
Miss