[Sca-cooks] A&S competitions, was Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 3, Issue 21

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 16 13:54:33 PDT 2003

Peldyn wrote:
>I have been playing at SCA since 1988 and I still have not entered any
>competitions, wouldn't have an idea how to and live so far away from
>my closest
>group that I really don't know anyone. I merchant and so I have a hard time
>getting away from my booth, but I think I would like to start doing more.

I don't know how things work in Caid, but up here in The West, you
can enter a competition without even being at the event, if someone
will take your work and your documentation to the event and fill out
all the paper work.

All our competitions to come are printed in every issue of our
Kingdom newsletter, The Page. I don't know if you do that in Caid -
but this way we can plan ahead. If competitions are listed in your
newsletter (that's the Crown Prints, i think), look at a competition
in the future that involves a skill or time period you like.

Find an historical item, generally in a photo, and make one similar.
You don't need perfection nor to make exact replica. Make sure you
understand the materials they would have used, and note in your
documentation where your materials and/or techniques are different
and why. The idea is that you do things as historically accurately as
possible, but there are reasons why we often cannot make a perfect
copy, and your documentation will indicate that you know the
difference.

Rules vary from kingdom to kingdom, so i'm making a generalization here:

The main things to cover in your documentation are:
what is it;
when is it from;
where is it from;
who would have used it and why;
what was it made of;
how was it made;
what you made yours of;
how you made yours.

There may be situations in which not all of the above is relevant.
But most of it usually is.

Have pictures of the original. If you are not making a close replica,
but something very like existing items, have pictures of the items
that inspired you, or other pictures relevant to your item.

Do not make something "nice" then try to "back-document" it. While
this can sometimes be done, i think it isn't worth the pain and
agony. If you start with something that you actually know is
"period", then documenting is not a big problem.

Take notes while you do your research - on materials, techniques,
variations, times and places, etc. Keep a record of the books you
used, so you can create a bibliography. This is not as complex as a
college "research paper".

After looking over A&S manuals from a multitude of Kingdoms and
branches, it seems to me that the consensus is about 3 pages of
documentation is good, which should include a bibliography.

For a recent submission, i made a 12 page booklet. It was a bit of
overkill, but was carefully organized:
1. Cover Sheet, with title of object and title of competition in
which it was entered and date of competition
(our submissions are anonymous, so i did not include my name)
2. Index of contents
* 3. Photo of original item
* 4. One page synopsis of documentation in outline form
* 5. One page bibliography
6. Written directions on how to make the item
7-8. Two pages of detailed charts
9-12. Four pages of detailed documentation
(The essentials are the photo, the bibliography, and my one page
synopsis - but it could have up to 3 pages)

The judges didn't have to read the whole thing- they could just look
at the photo of the original, read my one-page synopsis, and look at
the bibliography, and compare these with my item.

We have separate ministers for Kingdom and Principality cooking
competitions. The documentation for cooking is a bit different than
for A&S stuff, although most of the same info is relevant, although
we generally leave out the who and why...

Anahita