[Sca-cooks] Quince Syrup

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 20 17:38:18 PDT 2003

The Laimon-Safarjali syrup (safarjali means quince, guess what laimon
means...) is for beverages. I made it for the pseudo-Iron Chef feast
in 2000. It was my second feast.

All the recipes are on my website
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/persianchef.html

But i've included the recipe for the Quince syrup below.

Anahita

------------------------------

Here's the text from my web site:

------------------------------

Laimun Safarjali
Lemon-Quince-Rosewater Syrup Beverage

When I was shopping for ingredients for the feast, I went to a
Persian food store. I searched the shelves in hopes of finding a
(synthetic) musk flavored extract or syrup called for in a couple
recipes. Much to my surprise, I found a bottle of Lemon-Quince syrup
from an American Persian food supplier. I bought it to taste test. It
was delicious. My homemade syrup was even more delicious.

Original Recipe:
One part quince juice and three parts filtered syrup, in both of
which you have boiled pieces of quince until nearly done. They are
taken up, and the syrup takes it consistency. To every pound of the
whole you add two ounces of lemon juice. Then return the pieces of
quince; they improve the consistency. It is scented with musk,
saffron and rose-water and taken up and used.

 From al-Kitab Wasf al-At'ima al-Mu'tada
(The Book of the Description of Familiar Foods)
1373
Complete text translated and introduced by Charles Perry,
in Medieval Arab Cookery, p. 442-443.

My Recipe:
2 dozen quinces
5 - 8 pounds granulated white sugar
juice of 12 lemons
several capsful rosewater, Cortas brand
(i forget to add the saffron)
(i never found edible synthetic musk)

1. Cut quinces in quarters. Core and remove flower and stem ends. Cut
further into eighths (that is, each quince is ultimately cut in eight
pieces).

2. Put quinces in deep kettle, cover with water and turn fire to high.

3. Pour in 5 lb. sugar. Stir well.

4. When liquid begins to boil, reduce fire to medium and continue to
simmer, stirring frequently so bottom of pan doesn't burn.

5. Do NOT mash the  quinces. I did and it was a BIG mistake. I did
not get enough syrup, although the mashed quinces were delicious.

6. When liquid has thickened and has become a lovely amber-rose color
- many hours later - remove from heat and allow to cool.

7. When cool enough to manage, put a strainer over a deep bowl, and
begin scooping out quinces and liquid. Allow to strain without
mashing or pressing fruit. A jelly bag would probably work - although
you'd probably need several of them. Remove resulting liquid to
another large container.

8. After you've drained the quinces well, and syrup has cooled, check
the consistency and flavor. It should be somewhat syrupy and have a
tart-sweet flavor.
- It doesn't need to be clear. In fact, the original recommends
having some fruity bits in it, so you can add some mashed quince at
this point.
- If the syrup isn't sweet enough, put in a kettle on high fire, add
more sugar, stir well, bring to boil, then reduce to high simmer, and
cook just long enough for sugar to dissolve.

9. When syrup is thoroughly cooled, add lemon juice and rose water.

10. To drink, fill a pitcher about 2/3 full of water and add a bit of
syrup. Taste. Add more syrup until you are satisfied (the commercial
syrup, much denser than mine, is diluted 1 to 5). It should have a
sweet-tart flavor, redolent of quinces and roses.