[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP - Atkins questions

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Wed Aug 27 19:03:30 PDT 2003

Please forgive me for posting such on an off-topic topic, but among
ya'll resides the biggest group of Atkins devotees I know outside of an
Atkins mailing list (and I don't need another mailing list load coming
in every day!)

Ok, I'm trying Atkins for the second time.  (Yes, Jadwiga, Kyle and
Cadoc, I really am.)  The first time failed because I became so darned
sick and tired of the limited foods I could eat that I felt like I'd
rather starve than eat another piece of chicken, and literally almost
ralphed biting into yet another hunk of cheese.  So, this time I'm being
slightly more liberal - including a few berries and more meats than I
did before (investing in bison and ostrich and so on,) and eating less
yucky cheese.  (By the way, folks in my area, there is a great bison
farm in Telford, Pa -  www.hillsidefarms.biz.)

So, I've been at it only a few days so far.  I expected my energy to
flag in the second or third day, as it did last time; I didn't expect
muscle aching.  This morning, I woke with a charley horse, and all day
my thighs and derriere have ached.  Is this normal?

Second question: Has anybody else noticed the disparity between the book
and the marketed supplements on the issue of caffeine?  The book says to
avoid caffeine because it lowers blood sugar.  Accel, one of the "Basic
4" supplements, is primarily 50 milligrams of caffeine.  That's more
than you get from a cup of green tea, and almost as much as black tea.
Seems to me that a cup or two of tea a day is far less expensive than
their bottled pills, and much tastier.

Finally, I'm going to give blood on Saturday (topic of the month, it
seems :)  What do ya'll take with you for afterward?  Do you get
arguments from the canteen people about not drinking the orange juice or
iced tea?  I figured I'd take some turkey jerky and a small cup of
strawberries with creme fraiche and low-carb granola (I know,
technically off limits for Induction, but it's less than 3 grams of
carbs and it keeps me sane in the face of all that meat and cheese.)

Thank you!
-Magdalena

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him to find it for himself. - Galileo Galilei