[Sca-cooks] cookbooks with original recipes vs. citations

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Thu Aug 28 12:25:40 PDT 2003

Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa replied to Johnnae with:
-------------
> But this is the question that comes up whenever one approaches any
> cookbook that features traditional or heirloom or historical recipes.

Nope, not really.

I'm wondering why we seem to prefer books with the original source but
really lousy and misleading redactions to books with good redactions the
original sources are only cited, not reproduced. (I can provide
examples...)

As a librarian, it seems to me that a book that is inaccurate is much
worse than one that is accurate but only references rather than
reproducing the originals...

I generally prefer the cookbook with the original recipes and the questionable redactions to the one with possibly accurate redactions and citations.

Although I'm gradually acquiring more books, there is a good chance I do not have the cited sources in my library. Since I often cook on the spur of the moment finding a source of the original recipe may be difficult and it is certainly more inconvenient.

On the otherhand, if I have the original recipe, I am getting better at comparing the original to the redaction and deciding if I like the redaction or I think they made ingredient or cooking direction changes that I don't think are appropriate. And particularly when I'm cooking for myself it is unlikely that I will cook the redaction as given, anyway.

So, why not go with the books that have only the original recipe or a translation of the original recipe but no redactions? Because I'm not good enough to look at many period recipes and determine the best proportions of ingredients, especially the spices, without having the redaction as a starting point.

If I have comments from someone whose opinions I respect on the subject, I might well accept a redaction without the original recipe. But I really prefer to see the original recipe. Even with some of Master Cariadoc's redactions I've sometimes questioned why he made the decisions he did.

Stefan