[Sca-cooks] A & S question

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 6 22:09:22 PDT 2003

Thanks to all for the comments. This is going to be a bit patchy... *G*

These impressions, which evidently are incomplete (whew!) are what I've
had after talking and  listening to a number of different people in the
general area, sometimes in person, sometimes on lists. Mostly in a wide
variety of fiber arts, since that's what I do most, but in others, too.
Mostly I've been listening, but when I ask, I haven't gotten much
response. I may be extrapolating too much from discussions of individual
events - I'm not really certain. No, I haven't discussed this with
people specifically in Ostgardr.

I know I missed the exhibition last February, and I was supposed to be
going but a variety of things interfered. I did want to see it - perhaps
that would have given me a more complete view.

I have seen small exhibitions that were sort of a sideline - People are
there for classes, and by the way there's a table over there if you have
a chance...  but I, at least, am often so scheduled in the classes that
I don't really have much chance to look. At the end of the day when I
can, people are packing up... and they don't, of course, have people
there, as the artisans are themselves teaching/attending class.  I have
seen documentation in these, but I don't remember seeing comment sheets.
Looking at Jadwiga's post, I guess they fall more under the category of
Display...

I said backwater in SCA terms! Not at all in Real Life terms... LOL! But
the combination of scheduling (especially for me) and transportation do
make it very difficult to get to events. I concentrate on going to the
ones that are most important to me, where I can learn these arts. I've
also been thinking about my gut reaction against competition, and think
it may be, not so much living in Manhattan, but the form my non-SCA art
takes - I'm a (sometime) theatrical costumer. I get the director, the
producer, half the cast, sometimes the other designers (!) telling me
what is wrong with my design, and that's before I put it on a stage for
the audience and the critics! No, I don't feel a desperate need to enter
competition with the art I do just for fun...   And equally, yes, I have
other venues for not just personal but also artistic validation.

Craft as a Performance Art - I like that phrase - is kind of where I
find my mind going... though clearly not everything lends itself to
that. But I have spent a fair amount of time at Demos showing the
general public "This is what we do" - but my (limited) experience is
that we mostly don't do it around each other! *G* I loved the exhibition
2 years ago, because I did see work being done, I did get to meet the
people doing it, I did find a new form I knew nothing about and have
been learning about (and finally starting to practice) since. And it
seemed to me that was the idea. I'm not worried about Important People
seeing my work - I do want people who understand it to see it. And they
aren't always the same people, though sometimes they can be. But when I
asked about competition, that's the reason I was told. I was a bit
confused, because no one has ever told me "Because I get a charge from
entering it!" which I would have thought would be the best reason, even
though it isn't mine... maybe they think that's too obvious to state, or
maybe it isn't a factor?

And Jadwiga, food is good, but it's harder to do that when you are
showing textiles... *G* Neat food. That's what I need... Keep your
mustard away from my table! Or else we can do a joint project on period
stain removers... LOL!

Hmm... all the answers so far are not just from my Kingdom, but also
from my region. Maybe it is a regional mindset... and other parts of the
Kingdom, and the Known World, react differently?

I actually would like to hear the reasons *for* competition - clearly
people do enjoy it, or at least, choose to do it, and, because I don't,
I don't understand why. Anyone?

So now maybe I'm rambling... but I wanted to ask here because you know
me well enough not to dismiss me, and to accept the way I think. And it
does look as if I have more company than I was beginning to think I did.
Good. I can continue the other conversations, but feel more sure of myself.

Thank you.

AEllin