[Sca-cooks] A & S question

Patricia Collum pjc2 at cox.net
Wed Aug 6 22:40:25 PDT 2003

> Why is there an A&S Championship? Is this the only way we can get
> recognition from non-arts people, by having someone we can point to as
> the Best of the Best?

Here in Atenveldt a person that wins Champion is by definition good at A&S,
but what they are winning is a job. (We seem to do that around here- compete
for a job!) Part of the competition is an interveiw with the crown about
what they plan for their year as Champion. At events they stand with the
other champions behind the thrones, as a physical representative of the
srtisans in the kingdom. They attend events around the kingdom, promoting
the arts by their presence at theleast, and by teaching and encouraging
other artisans. They are required during their term to create an item of
regalia for the kingdom, This last years champion is creating handmade
volumes of the history of the peerages.

> I don't even really understand the emphasis on competition. I have been
> told that it is the only way to have your work seen, though I gather
> there are exhibitions, also. I've also been told that, because of the
> judging, it is the only way to have knowledgeable people give you
> feedback about your work. But I have also heard people discuss the
> difficulty of being a judge, and finding oneself faced with a medium one
> is not knowledgeable about. And I don't really understand why it would
> not be possible to have exhibitions where there could be critiques, but
> without the ranking.  It seems to me that, too often, one is comparing
> the proverbial  apples and oranges... I am also told that, as you need
> documentation for competition, it's the only way to ensure that you
> learn how to document. Again, wouldn't one document for exhibition? At
> least have that as an option?

Here we are starting a program of training and certifying judges starting
with next years competition. We have competitions at the local groups as
well as at kingdom. The Barony of Sundragon (Selene and Gunthar's barony
also) does there competition exibition style, by populace choice, with
documentation at a minimum and artisans sitting with their work at least
part of the time to discuss it. We also have Laurel's Prize at Estrella war
and small exhibits at events.

> And, in the East, at least, I gather that many competitions are closed
> to Laurels, because of the valid concern that they would dominate and
> therefore discourage people still learning the art. But then, the people
> learning don't have occasion to see the Laurel's work, and read their
> documentation,  and *themselves* compare their work to it.

There was a lot of discussion about laurels being reluctant to compete
before this kingdom A&S competition, but they are allowed to compete at
kingdom. Many do not compete except at war or exhibit at A&S without
competeing. But this year there was a past champions competition that was
won by the same laurel who also won a category as a novice for an art she
had never done before.

I myself have mixed feelings about competing. I mostly want to share the
arts that I do and encourage people to learn new ones by teaching. There is
a certain amount of encouragement (pressure) from my freinds and mentors to
compete. But when I do compete I want to win. It's not the prize, it's just
a part of my nature.

Cecily